It is really great to discover new vegan products in our local grocery stores. This week, we found Yuba noodles that were already rehydrated, seasoned, and cooked. Talk about a time saver! In the previous article, I introduced yuba in the form of fresh or frozen sheets that can be stir-fried or added to soups. Well, someone came up with yuba that have been cut into thin noodles. This makes a great high protein and gluten-free alternative to wheat and rice noodles.
Here is the box, in case you are wondering what it looks like! It had a great spicy kick! The portion was plenty for 2 people, especially if you add julienned vegetables as we did.
As you may have noticed, I am kind of the queen of bowls! The noodles can be reheated and eaten as is but incorporating sliced vegetables takes it to another level. We had fresh snap peas, onions, and pickled carrots, and daikon for color and crunchiness! Top with roasted peanuts and sesame seeds and you are good to go! You could also use red pepper, finely sliced cabbage, spinach, mushrooms… Yum!
A 15-minute bowl is a new record! Ok, so I cheated with the yuba noodles and always have a jar of homemade pickled carrots and daikon. But you get the idea and you can skip the pickled vegies and substitute any leafy greens.
15-minute Yuba Noodle Bowl
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 cups snap peas or leafy greens
- 1 box spicy yuba noodles
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari for gluten-free version
- 1/2 cup pickled carrots and/or daikon sticks
- 1/2 cup roasted nuts
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Prepare the Yuba noodles
- Open the package and empty the content in a medium bowl.
- Pan fry the sliced onion in a little oil. Add the soy sauce and stir.
- Add the fresh garlic and stir.
- Quickly stir-fry the snap peas (whole or cut) over low heat.
- Add the yuba noodles and 2-3 tbsp of water and loosen the noodles as you mix them with the vegetables.
- When the snap peas are lightly cooked but still crunchy, add the pickled carrots and or daikon and turn off the heat.
- Pour the stir-fried noodles and vegetables into 2 bowls.
- Top with roasted nuts and sesame seeds.
- Serve and eat immediately!
- Optional: fresh cilantro.