Summer is in full swing, and eventhough all public events are cancelled due to social distancing, we have been craving fresh crunchy salads like coleslaw. With an abundance of fresh basil, mint and cilantro in our garden, I had to incorporate them to take this all-American classic to another level. But why stop here? I also wanted to add natural probiotics in the dressing in the form of miso for more goodness. So get ready for an explosion of flavors from the mint and basil that will make the traditional version a boring distant memory.
Get creative, use a combination of green and red cabbage for a beautiful display of colors. You can even add a few shreds of carrots.
The addition of fresh mint brightens this salad
Author: Chef Sophie
Recipe type: Salad
- ½ red and ½ green cabbage finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh spearmint or a mix of other mint leaves
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves minced
- 3 Tbsp vegenaise
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1 tsp dry sweetener
- dash of salt
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- In a food processor, pulse the cabbage until it is fine.
- Roughly chop the mint
- In a small bowl, mix the Vegenaise*, tvinegar, miso, sugar and salt.
- Toss the cabbage, basil and mint with the dressing.
- Taste and season more if needed.
- Make a bed with the spinach leaves and spoon the coleslaw on top.