I have been busy preparing my summer classes and as a result have been neglecting my blog a little. The good news is that many new dishes are being created and fine tuned in the process of designing the classes. Add to that the fact that we are moving and you get the picture how exciting things have been.
I don’t know about you but I have been craving citrus fruit and oranges lately and finding ways to add them to my food. Must be my body asking for vitamin C! The traditional moist vegan carrot cake has been enhanced with zest and juice from juicy oranges, giving it an aromatic flagrance and unique taste. Yum! Enjoy!
DRY INGREDIENTS: WET INGREDIENTS:
2 cups all purpose flour* 1/2 cup soy milk
2 tsp baking powder 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp baking soda 1/2 cup orange juice
2 tsp ground cinnamon rind from 2 oranges
2 tsp ground nutmeg 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave
1 tsp ground ginger 2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbl anis seeds (optional) 2 cups finely shredded carrots
1 tsp salt 1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup organic sugar or sweetener
*you can substitute 1/2 cup potato flour and 1/2 cup of tapioca flour if you are allergic to gluten.
PUTTING IT TOGETHER:
- Preheat the oven at 375°F
- Grease a square or round baking pan.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Slowly mix wet and into dry ingredients.
- Add the raisins and carrots at the end.
- Pour into baking dish and bake for 50mn or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool off before slicing it.
- Serve as is, or with some homemade icing.