The great thing about buying fresh vegetables at Costco is that you always great a great deal but unless you are feeding a large family or are good at canning, you are going to have to be creative in finding ways to prepare the same vegetables. If not waste large quantities of fruit or vegetables. Asparagus must be in season because we brought back a large bag. After roasting some,
Health benefits of asparagus
A great source of fiber, vitamin K, C, A and folate, asparagus is a natural artery-clearing food.
Asparagus is also a natural diuretic so it helps detoxify the liver and kidneys.
Good for weight loss: asparagus contains an alkaloid called asparagime that breaks down fat cells. How about that?
Ingredients to create a dairy-free creamy soup
Asparagus are very low calorie so they need a little help when it comes to make a creamy soup.
I love to add some beans, because not only do they create creaminess but they also provide hidden protein! It is a great way to sneak beans when you make soups! You can also incorporate a cooked potato, vegan sour cream, cashew cream, etc. All work beautifully to produce a low fat-free creamy soup!
You may be tempted to put all the veggies in broth and blend but you wouldn’t get a rich set of flavors. The key is to pan fry the onion and garlic on its own, Do the same for the mushrooms and the asparagus and only then blend everything.
Feel free to add more greens if you want to obtain a deeper color. When asparagus are cooked they loose their bright color! I added 1-2 cups of fresh spinach but Swiss chard, arugula or kale, will all work.
Add some strips of vegan bacon, sprinkle some vegan parmesan.
Dairy-free Cream of Asparagus Soup with Braised Mushrooms
- 10-12 asparagus
- 1 medium yellow or white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 cup mushrooms (chanterelle, fresh shiitake, white caps)
- 1-2 medium cooked potatoes
- 1/2 cup cannelini beans
- 1-2 cups fresh or frozen spinach
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Pan-fry the sliced mushroom in a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- After a minute, add the garlic, balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce and stir.
- Cook for another minute or two until the mushrooms are nicely coated. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the onion in a little oil, add some salt and pepper, and Cook until translucent. Set aside.
- Trim the end of each asparagus to remove the white tough part of the stems.
- Cut each spear into smaller pieces keeping a few intact to use as toppings.
- In the same pan, add some vegetable broth, and the asparagus spears.
- In a blender, combine the onion, most of the asparagus minus 1/2 cup of cut pieces,and a few long spears.
- Add the cooked beans, and remaining vegetable broth. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Taste and season.
- Place some of the cut pieces of asparagus at the bottom of the soup plate. Add a few ladles of soup
- Top with a few asparagus spears, and spoon some of the braised mushrooms.
- Serve with toasted French bread.
Place some of the cut pieces of asparagus at the bottom of the soup plate. Add a few laddles of soup.
Top with a few asparagus spears, spoon some of the mushrooms.
Serve with toasted French bread.