This week, we found some really cool fresh corn. It was multi-colored, not something you see very often. It was almost too beautiful to eat but got around to it eventually! While most of the corn produced is yellow, there are many more varieties like red, scarlet, pink, yellow, orange, magenta, bright blue, dark blue, light blue, bluish-gray, black, purple, maroon, brown, white, and even cream white, green, purple, red, blackish, orange, brown, pink, cream, and bluish-gray. Yellow corn remains the one of the sweetest which explains its popularity.
Corn Quiz (Answer at the end)
Is a corn kernel:
a. a fruit
b. a vegetable
c. a grain
d. All of the above
The weather has been a little cooler than usual, so we decided to turn some of our corn into another great soup! It is bright yellow, happy, creamy, a little sweet with a touch of spiciness. It takes less than 30 minutes to make and can be served both hot and cold in the summer. You most likely already have all the ingredients in your kitchen! You can use frozen or fresh corn. And by adding some white beans you get your proteins and a lovely creamy texture without any added fat! You won’t even taste them. This is a great way to discreetly incorporate fiber and protein when you have picky eaters!
20-minute Coconut Curry Corn Soup
- 1 medium onion diced (1 cup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cannellini or fava beans
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Sauté onion and garlic in a large pot with the vegetable oil until it becomes translucent.
- Add the corn (fresh or frozen), curry and cayenne powder, salt, and pepper, and stir over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, beans, and coconut milk and cook for 10 minutes
- Pour into a blender, keeping a cup aside. Add the lime juice and blend until smooth.
- Serve into a bowl adding some kernels from the saved cup if you like some chunks!
- Sprinkle some chopped cilantro or parsley.
Quiz answer: d. All of the above