Most countries have a version of a grilled sandwich.
The French call it Croque-monsieur, Americans call it a grilled sandwich,
Italians, grilled paninis, you get the idea.
My mom happens to make the best-grilled sandwich with thin slices of bread so I decided to create a vegan version. To get the full effect, you will need sliced vegan meat (Tofurkey smoke turkey
or ham type are the best) and your favorite sliced vegan cheese (Violife, Chao, Miyoko are all great choices that melt).
You don’t need a fancy grilling machine. My mom happens to have one, so we got nice grilled marks on the bread but you can make it with a regular frying pan, using something heavy to push it down.
- 2 square slices of whole wheat bread (the thinner the better)
- 3 slices of veggie meat (Yves’s smoked turkey or Tofurkey are great choices)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (don’t use Yellow or other types)
- 1 slice of vegan cheese
- 3 gherkins thinly sliced (don’t use relish, it is too sweet and slimy!)
- 1 Tbsp capers flattened (large ones are better but small capers will do too!)
- Some vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- Lightly butter the bread slices on one side all the way to the edges.
- Spread mustard on the other side, then place the slices of vegie meat.
- Thinly slice the gerkins and capers and place on top of the vegie meat making sure that they are spread out evenly.
- Add the vegan cheese.
- Cover with top slice and pan fry.
- Press the top with a heavy pan to make sure that all layers are melded together and the top and bottom are crisp.
- Serve immediately with a nice salad or an assortment of raw vegetables, some sliced avocado etc.