|Earth Day Portland|
What a glorious day today was.
Quite appropriate for Earthday.
Once home, we had a craving for something stewy. I had a few vegetables, some cornmeal. Plenty enough to make a nice vegetable medley with some rich polenta (we had rice the day before!)
VEGETABLE MEDLEY INGREDIENTS:
1/2 onion sliced
VEGETABLE MEDLEY PREPARATION:
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and stir.
- After 1 minute, add the balsamic vinegar and stir to caramelize them. Add salt, garlic, stir some more.
- In a separate frying pan, heat a little oil, and pan fry the pepper and the tofu and the cumin.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. When the tofu is browned and the pepper lightly softened, remove from the heat.
- Add the tomatoes and zuchini to the onion mixture and gently heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the peppers. Turn heat off and cover.
- Now time to prepare the polenta
3 cups of water
- Bring the water, broth, vegan butter, salt and pepper to a boil, turn down to medium heat.
- Add the polenta in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly. Don’t add it too quickly, because you risk making the polenta lumpy.
- Cook slowly, stirring constantly, over very low heat. Be careful because the hot polenta will turn into molten lava in no time and may spatter as it cooks, so use a long-handled wooden spoon and long sleeve (just kidding for the sleeves). Stay at a distance from the stove to be on the safe side. It may take up to 15mn for the polenta to be cooked.
- Try it and if it tastes gritty, it isn’t ready.
- Add the nutritional yeast at the very end when it is cooked, this will provide a cheezy taste to it and lots of vitamin B.
- Immediately spoon the polenta while it is soft next to the vegetables.