Summer is now in full swing so it is the perfect time to make wonderful salads. This one is one of our favorites. It combines fruit, root vegetables, roasted seeds and the most wonderful turmeric vinaigrette giving it a delicate golden hue.
Best Apples for salads
Living in the state of Washington, the #1 producer of apples in the country, we are kind of picky when it comes to apples. We grow 65% of all apples! Wow! A few years ago we heard of a new apple developed over 20 years, as a cross between a Honeycrisp and Enterprise, called Cosmic crisp. OMG! It is one of the most juicy, crunchy and perfectly sweet apple I have ever tasted in my life. And what is the most amazing things is that every single one is. If you have a chance to try it go for it, you will thank me for it! Other types of apples that work great in salads are honeycrisp, gala and fuji… As long as you stay away from pithy and mushy apples you are good to go!
A French favorite for its lovely light licorice flavor, this root vegetable can be roasted, steamed, baked and served fresh in salads.
Nutritional content: High in vitamin K, fennel improves calcium absorption, is known to reduce inflammation, fight cancer and helps insomnia.
Garden tips: fennel can be grown in containers, garden beds… Plant in a sunny area that gets at least 6 hours of sun in a well drained soil.
If you are in a hurry, you can buy cooked beets that are sealed. Otherwise, you can steam or roast them. You can wrap them in some foil and bake at 400F for 45-50 minutes. Let them cool down before removing the skin. You may want to use some gloves or do it under running water as they stain a lot!
Violife feta cheese
Plant-based cheese have come a long way in the past few years and in the category of feta cheese, Violife wins the competition hands down. Adding cubes of Violife Feta cheese to take this salad takes it to the next level.
Avocado turmeric Vinaigrette
This salad dressing combines avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, agave, turmeric powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
If you want more protein or fun crunchy bites, sprinkle some roasted pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, or candied pecans…
This salad is great for parties, potlucks because it keeps well for hours!
It goes great with a vegan meatball sub. vegan Philly Cheesesteak sandwich…
Fennel Apple Beet Salad with Turmeric Citrus Vinaigrette
- 1 fennel bulb finely sliced
- 1 medium apple (honeycrisp, cosmic crisp or gala)
- 1 small carrot peeled and finely julienne
- 1 small cooked beet (peeled)
- 10 small cubes of Violife feta cheese
- 2 sprigs of green onion or chives finely minced
Turmeric Citrus vinaigrette
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp roasted pumpkin or hemp seeds
- 2-4 candied pecans or slivered almonds
Cook the beets
- Roasting: Bake at 400 F for 45 minutes until tender. Set aside and remove the skin.
Prepare the vinaigrette
- Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar. Close it tightly and shake well.
Prepare the salad
- Cut off the long part of the fennel. Cut the bulb in half. Remove the hard core and finely slice.
- Cube the beets, the apple and set aside. Cube the Violife feta.
- Peel and julienne the carrot.
- Dice the green onions or chives
Putting it together
- Combine the apple, fennel, green onion, beet, feta cubes.
- Add the vinaigrette and mix well. Set aside for a few minutes.