If your spouse or kids aren’t big fans of broccoli, this recipe is going to be a game-changer! We personally love broccoli but it is always fun to find ways to sneak it! The idea to use broccoli in addition to cauliflower to make plant-based buffalo wings came from the need to quickly double a recipe after the unexpected arrival of additional friends to a small party we were hosting. I only had a medium head of cauliflower and 2 large bunch of broccoli. No time to go out to the store, so why not use broccoli? To my surprise, they came out perfect and more colorful than the usual cauliflower after biting into it.
How to Cut the broccoli Wings
The best way to get pieces that are just the right size is to remove the stem, break flowerets and using a sharp knife cut from the stem up to end up with medium size pieces. If the pieces are too big, the wings could be a little soft, keeping them on the smaller size, and well battered will ensure a crisp edge.
If this happens it just means that you either put too much buffalo sauce, or the sauce was maybe too thin or you waited too long to serve them. The best way to ensure perfectly crisp wings is to drizzle some sauce in a large bowl and gently toss and immediately serve. So remember timing, timing, timing.
Note: If you don’t have an air fryer, you can also bake them.
It helps to spray a little oil on top of the breadcrumbs for extra crisp. Notice on the picture on the left that you cannot tell which pieces are cauliflower and which pieces are broccoli!
Have fun making them!
Air fried Broccoli Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- air fryer
- 2 large broccoli tops
- 1/2 medium cauliflower
- 2 cups Plain plant-based milk (soy, almond, etc.)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup AP or gluten-free flour
- 1 tbsp sweet or smoke paprika
- 2 tbsp powder garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2/3 cup hot pepper sauce (like Frank'sRedHot)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp neutral oil like avocado or light olive oil
- 1` tsp raw sugar
Prepare the buffalo sauce
- Heat up the hot pepper sauce, paprika powder, white vinegar, salt, garlic powder and avocado oil. Set aside.
Prepare the wet batter
- In a large bowl whisk the plant-based milk, the cornstarch, sea salt, paprika, garlic and onion powder.
- Slowly add the flour and whisk until fully blended. Set aside.
Prepare the dry mix
- In a separate wide bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs, salt, and paprika.
Putting it together
- Dip each piece into the wet batter using tongues.
- Using your left hand, place the battered piece into the panko. Shake the bowl to evenly coat each piece. Tap to get rid of excess crumbs.
- Repeat for all the pieces and place on the air frying basket making sure to leave a little space in between each piece.
- Air fry for 15 minutes. Flip each piece carefully and bake for another 10-12 minutes until fully crisp.
- In a large bowl, place some of the fried wings and drizzle some of the buffalo sauce. Quickly shake the bowl and gently toss the wings until they are fully coated.
- Serve immediately.