So summer has finally arrived. Summer means salads and what is a party without a vegan potato salad? Well, this one is guaranteed to make people talk and come back for seconds! Don’t say anything, just bring it and watch what happens!
I must say that I have been enjoying fresh salads from our garden with all kinds of lettuce, some kale, fresh peas… what a blessing to be able to walk anytime to a patch of fresh fruit and vegetables and harvest our treasures as they make themselves available to us. I have also been craving lately for salads with more sustenance. So I decided to add fresh broccoli, some carrots, some peas even. I also happened to have some oven roasted potatoes I had made for a dinner the day before. So I thought, why not combine them together. Now, since I love chipotle sauce, I decided to try it on it. I can put it on just about everything. Wow! The result was a wonderful rich flavor with crunchy bites… I think that you will love the combination of raw and roasted vegies with a fun chipotle sauce.
- 1 cup of Broccoli cut in small pieces (top mostly)
- ½ shredded carrots
- 4 medium potatoes roasted (with rosemary, salt, olive oil)
- Fresh peas cut in small pieces
- Optional but great complement for color and flavor:
- ½ cup of fresh corn 6-7 sticks of jicama
- 1 Tbl dried cranberries (for a splash of red and some sweet bites!)
- ¼ cup of pine nuts or pumpkin seeds
- Chipotle sauce:
- 1 cup of Vegenaise* (vegan mayonnaise)
- 3 Tbl non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbl chipotle liquid
- dash of salt
- Cut the potatoes in chunks
- Sprinkle them with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle some olive oil and mix well.
- Roast for 15m at 385F
- While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the chipotle dressing.
- Mix Vegan mayonnaise with some of the adobo sauce from the chipotle can.
- Taste and add more sauce if you like it hot. Add salt and pepper.
- If you want a more liquid dressing, add some dairy-free milk.
- Cut the peas in smaller bits.
- Let the potatoes cool off, once they are done (tender but not mushy)
- Mix all the ingredients with the dressing.
- Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight for the flavors to fully infuse the vegetables.
TIP: Pour the chipotle in a small ziploc bag and freeze it unless you are planning to eat chipotle for the rest of the week! You only need a small amount because trust me a little goes a long way!