Most countries have a version of a grilled sandwich.
France calls it Croque-monsieur, Americans call it a grilled sandwich,
Italians, grilled paninis, you get the idea. My mom makes the best-grilled sandwich Italian style so I decided to create a vegan version.
To get the full effect, you will need sliced vegan meat (Tofurkey smoke turkey
or ham type are the best) and your favorite sliced vegan cheese (Chao is a great choice).
You don’t need a fancy grilling machine. My mom happens to have one, so we got nice grilled marks on the bread but you can make it with a regular frying pan, using something heavy to push it down.
- 2 square slices of whole wheat bread (the thinner the better)
- 3 slices of veggie meat (Yves’s smoked turkey or Tofurkey are great choices)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard (don’t use Yellow or other types)
- 1 slice of vegan cheese
- 3 gerkins thinly sliced (don’t use relish, it is too sweet and slimy!)
- 1 Tbsp capers flattened (large ones are better but small one will do too!)
- Some vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- Lightly butter the bread slices on one side all the way to the edges.
- Spread mustard on the other side, then place the slices of vegie meat.
- Thinly slice the gerkins and capers and place on top of the vegie meat making sure that they are spread out evenly.
- Add the vegan cheese.
- Cover with top slice and pan fry.
- Press the top with a heavy pan to make sure that all layers are melded together and the top and bottom are crisp.
- Serve immediately with a nice salad or an assortment of raw vegetables, some sliced avocado etc.