Vegan coconut macaroon are a great low-fat replacement of the traditional macaroons because they are eggless and don’t contain any dairy products. So in this case you can have your cake and eat it too!
If you are ever tired of chocolate chip cookies and want something a little less sweet and more exotic, go for eggless coconut macaroons. Crispy on the outside, moist and a little chewy on the inside, these little white rocks are incredible and not too sweet. They are easy to make too. When I was still eating dairy products, I used to make them with sweetened condensed milk and they were really rich. After that, I forgot about them but with a little experimentation, they turned out just as good and a lot less decadent! So why not indulge and make a big batch? You can also make variations adding some chocolate or some orange peel or anything else you enjoy in your sweets.
2 cups of coconut milk
3/4 cup of dry sweetener (organic sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups dried unsweetened coconut*
1/4 cup of arrowroot or cornstarch
4 Tbs water
*if you have shredded sweetened coconut, use less dry sweetener or it will be too sweet.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- Mix the coconut milk with the vanilla and sugar.
- Mix the arrowroot or cornstarch with the water and pour into the coconut milk.
- Add the dried coconut and mix well.
- If the mixture is too wet, ad a little more coconut.
- With the help of a soup spoon, make little bundles and shape them with your hands until they resemble a little pyramid.
- Bake for 20-25 mn until lightly browned on top and bottom.