I woke up early this morning to discover my garden covered by a thick blanket of snow. Every little branch had a layer, every item was covered perfectly. It was a scene straight out of a Japanese garden in the winter. Breathtaking!
For some reason, all I could think about was making a nice borscht, the traditional hearty beet soup. Luckily I happened to have beets in the refrigerator (I am not sure if I would have braved snowy roads for it though!)
- 3-4 medium red beets, peeled and shredded
- ½ yellow cabbage shredded
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ can of tomato sauce
- 1-2 tbsp white vinegar
- 4-5 cups of vegetable broth (or more if you like it more liquid)
- Vegan sour cream for topping
- Shred the beets and the cabbage.
- Cube the potatoes.
- Stir fry the onion and garlic in a little oil.
- Add the shredded vegetables to the onion and mix everything.
- Add the broth and the vinegar and simmer over medium heat for 15-20m.
- Serve the soup in nice bowls and top with some vegan sour cream.
- You can also sprinkle with some fresh chives,green onions or parsley.