Most countries have a version of a grilled sandwich.
France calls it Croque-monsieur, Americans call it grilled sandwich,
Italians, grilled paninis, you get the idea. My mom makes the best
grilled sandwich Italian style so I decided to create a vegan version.
To get the full effect, you will need sliced vegan meat (Tofurkey smoke turkey
or ham type are the best) and your favorite slice vegan cheese.
You don’t need a fancy grilling machine. My mom happens to have one, so we got nice grilled marks on the bread but you can make it with a regular frying pan, using something heavy to push it down.
INGREDIENTS per person:
2 square slices of whole wheat bread (forget the white stuff!)
3 slices of veggie meat (Yves’s smoked turkey or Tofurkey are great choices)
1 Tbl Dijon mustard (don’t use the sweet American type)
1 slice of vegan cheese (daiya)
3 gerkins thinly sliced (don’t use relish, it is too sweet and slimy!)
1 Tbl capers flattened (large ones are better but small one will do too!)
Some vegan butter (Earth Balance)
- Lightly butter the bread slices on one side all the way to the edges.
- Spread mustard on the other side, then place the slices of vegie meat.
- Thinly slice the gerkins and capers and place on top of the vegie meat making sure that they are spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle the Daiya cheese or other vegan cheese of your choice.
- Cover and pan fry.
- Press the top with a heavy pan to make sure that all layers are melded together and the top and bottom are crisp.
- Serve immediately with a nice salad or an assortment of raw vegetables, some sliced avocado etc.
Note: this is a delicate thin sandwich that melts in your mouth, the type you will find in France and Italy not the gooey thick one that is usually served in the US.
Bon appétit !