Spring is coming, soon summer will be here, so what better time to get ready for great sandwiches! This has to be one of the best use of tempeh I know. All the flavor and none of the saturated fat. Fat-free and cholesterol-free bacon, what an idea! This recipe is great for busy people because it doesn’t require baking or marinating so it can be put together very quickly. It also takes advantage of the firmness of tempeh. So if you are in the mood for a BLT or need some vegan ‘bacon’ for brunch, this is a good choice.
1/2 cake of plain tempeh
1 Tbl oil
1 TBl white vinegar
2 TBl ketchup
2 Tbl soy sauce
1 Tbl olive oil
1 tsp liquid smoke
Dash of garlic powder
- Cut the tempeh in half thickness wise, then make thin slices being careful not to break them.
- Lightly pan fry the tempeh and sprinkle with a little salt until crisp.
- While the tempeh is cooking, prepare the marinade by mixing all the ingredients.
- Remove from heat and place in a small tupperware with a lid.
- Immediately pour the marinade over the tempeh and put cover. Invert the container so that the marinade coat all the tempeh. Let it set for a few minutes.
Serve as warm or cold as an appetizer, on a BLT, on a vegan ‘egg’ Benedict or any sandwich.
Make extras because they will go quickly!
Keeps well refrigerated for 5-6 days but it won’t last that long, I promise!