Herb Vegan Goat Cheese
Sorry for not having posted for a while. I am taking advantage of being in the South of France visiting my parents to try out some new French inspired dishes. While I do not miss any of the cow cheese I used to enjoy when I was a carnivore, goat cheese, on the other hand, was more delicate, naturally low fat and milder in flavor. So I attempted to recreate a dairy-free version from scratch. It turns out that organic firm tofu lends itself really well to the recipe. Truth be told, I wasn’t able to get the exact consistency of goat cheese, but obtained something in between what could be used as ricotta (if kept more moist) and soft goat cheese. Not bad at all! The taste is quite nice and the result is great addition to a vegan caesar salad or on top of spring mix. I can’t wait to harvest the tomatoes in my garden and make this stunning vegan goat cheese with homemade rosemary crackers!
2 cup of organic firm tofu
2 tsp nutritional yeast
2 Tbl light miso paste
2 tsp onion powder
2 medium roasted garlic cloves
4 Tbl lemon juice
2 Tbl virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1. Cube the tofu and place in medium pan. Cover with some water with a little salt and bring to boil. Let it simmer for 4-5 minutes without a lid. Drain and let it cool of. This step will make the tofu more firm.
2. Process the remaining ingredients minus the fresh basil until pureed.
3. Pour into a bowl and add the fine strips of fresh basil, mix again.
Taste, add salt and pepper if needed.
4. Line a ramequin or a small glass container with some ceranwrap.
5. Spoon the tofu mixture making sure that it is pushed evenly all the way to the top. Refrigerate for a few hours.
6. When it is time to serve, flip the dish and remove the plastic film preserving the shape and place on a salad or serve with crackers.
NOTE: If you don’t eat soy products, no worry, you can use pine nuts, see recipe at the Vegenista.
Bon appétit everyone
2012 airport food antioxidants arrowroot borscht breakfast scramble casserole chick pea flour chocolate pudding dairy products eggless scramble entrees France school meals French quiche Gandhi GMO corn GMO products grilled portobello grow sunflower seeds home-made pizza how to sprout sunflower seeds kindness meat consumption Meatless Monday miso salad dressing mushroom tart no bake chocolate pie Nori-Nu Silken tofu poblano chile puff pastry Purple Yam restaurant reviews root vegetable salad slippery elm spicy black bean snack sprout sunflower seeds tostada salad vegan beet soup vegan desert vegan nutloaf vegan sandwich vegan stuffed chiles vegetarian meats wakame nutrition Whole Foods